Home UK News Sally Challen admits manslaughter over husband's death

Sally Challen admits manslaughter over husband's death

by InterSpaceReporter

Image copyright
Family handout

Image caption

Sally Challen admitted killing her husband but denied murder

A woman whose sons campaigned for her conviction for murdering her husband to be quashed has been granted bail ahead of a fresh trial.

Sally Challen, 65, was found guilty of murdering Richard, 61, and jailed for life in 2011.

But the conviction was quashed by the Court of Appeal in February.

Appearing at the Old Bailey via video-link, Challen pleaded guilty to manslaughter but denied murdering her husband on 14 August 2010.

Mr Justice Edis said Challen, of Claygate in Surrey, should be released from custody from midday on Saturday.

He set a further hearing for 7 June and a trial date for 1 July “if necessary”.

The appeal followed a campaign by her sons David, 31, and James, 35.

As they left court, the men smiled and expressed relief that their mother would soon be freed.

Image copyright
Family handout

Image caption

Sally and Richard Challen had two sons and had been married for 31 years

During the two-day appeal hearing in February, the court heard evidence relating to Mrs Challen’s state of mind at the time of the killing and the issue of “coercive control”.

Coercive control describes a pattern of behaviour by an abuser to harm, punish or frighten their victim and became a criminal offence in England and Wales in December 2015.

The murder conviction was overturned by three judges who said the evidence of a psychiatrist, that Mrs Challen was suffering from two mental disorders at the time of the killing, was not available at the time of her trial and undermined the safety of her conviction.

Do you have a view about this post? Leave a comment on our Facebook page

Credited Source link

You may also like